Sunday, July 24, 2005

Annoying Announcers

Have you ever noticed how annoying some announcers can be? I know some places, such as WEEI, like to rip apart ESPN's Chris Berman for his play by play. I agree it can be pretty bad at times. But I especially dislike the ones who are blatantly biased AND have annoying quirks about them. I've been watching WGN carry the White Sox-Red Sox matchup, and those guys out of Chicago win the prize for annoying behavior. I suppose I should be grateful, as I'm outside of New England, don't have the Direct TV baseball package, and therefore wouldn't be able to watch the Red Sox if it wasn't for WGN. But show a little professionalism in your announcing, will you?

Examples of poor broadcast behavior: "The score's 1-0 after half an inning in favor of the Red Sox, with the good guys coming up." Ok, it's fine to wish the team you cover will win. That's understandable. But calling one side the "good guys" is something that should be left to the fans, NOT announcers.

Whenever a White Sox pitcher strikes out a batter, the announcer blurts out "Hee gone." Sounds a bit like "Hee haw" in It's a Wonderful Life. Why can't you stick to something a little more basic, like "He struck him out!" Instead he has to sound like a cowboy from Chicago. Apparently he doesn't understand the history of his own city. Cowboys drove cattle to railroad loading stations many miles away from Chicago, after which they were shipped to the Windy City. Cowboys don't belong in Chicago!

When the White Sox load the bases, the announcer doesn't stick to the traditional description of "The bases are loaded." Instead, it has the be "The sacks are packed with sox!" This inevitably happens whenever it happens. I suppose this is supposed to sound clever? But I think it sounds dorky. Fortunately it hasn't been too frequent, so I haven't had to endure hearing this phrase too often.

By the way, for anyone who thinks I am simply biased, and annoyed because the announcers are not favoring my home team, that's not true. I agreed with a die hard Mets fan last night on the insufferable behavior of these guys! Yes, a Mets fan! I'm sure people who watch Red Sox broadcasts pick up on things the announcers say that favor the World Champs. But it's far more subtle. And if you ever watch these WGN broadcasters, you'd have to agree with me that Remy, Trupiano, Orsillo, and Castiglione are far more palatable, no matter what team you root for.

5 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Oh please. I've seen\heard what redsox announcers say and you nod along like it is gospel. Now I'm not saying these guys you are currently listening to aren't annoying, but they can't be any worse than the biased rs announcers i've heard. They just aren't biased in favor of what you want.

And that sounds alot like life...

8:08 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

DJ, until you can quote a Red Sox announcer refering to the RS as the "good guys," AND get a diehard fan of some National League team (i.e., an impartial third party observer) to agree on the terribly unprofessional behavior of a RS announcer, I stick by my claim that the RS announcers are both more professional and less annoying.

By the way, in a spirit of reconciliation, I would say that Tim McCarver, the regular YANKEES announcer, is much more palatable to listen to than the WGN guys. My ability to admit that proves at least some degree of impartiality on my part in this analysis.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had heard the announcing you mentioned, Chad. I would have been horrified! Don't worry. I cked USA today here in Salt Lake City to keep up with Red Sox standings. Some of the jargon in the article I wish I'd had you or Clyde there to interpret, but I could understand the scores and standings! Rah, rah me!

8:18 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

I beg to differ w/ ryusoma. I have actually been annoyed with how nice Red Sox announcers are to the other teams. "Who's side are you one anyway?" I cry. And I just heard the Extra Innings guy say "Give the Devil Rays credit - they stuck with it," or something like that. There are announcers who are fair while still rooting for their team. And Red Sox announcers are some of them.

11:12 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Chad, I think you meant to say the Y**K**S. And I must say the female radio announcer for the Y**K**S is absolutely THE most annoying one out there. I can't stand her.

Reading ryu's post one would think he seldom listens to Joe and Jerry, which is probably true.

But what do the WGN announcers say when the Red Sox load the bases? I mean, the sacks are still packed with Sox, aren't they?

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters