Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Mystery and Wonder of Technology

I am amazed and gratified by the technology that influences my life today. Two examples right now stand out in my mind. First, my ID card here at college. It does everything! A little piece of plastic with a magnetic strip gives me access to our dorm, all three floors, at any time, with a simple swipe through the reader. (Actually, sometimes it takes several tries, but that's besides the point.) But the students' cards limit their access to the floor they live on. And they are not allowed access after 11 P.M. How does that work? All I can figure is that there's a little tiny clock in each card reader that reads the strip, which is encoded with various time limitations or not. However it works, way cool! But there's more! It also holds our meal plan. With a simple swipe of the card, we're granted access to the cafeteria three times a day. In addition, it can be charged with money to use in snack machines, copiers, laundry, etc. Moreover, it provides access to checking out books at the library (at least it did when I was a student!) How one little magnetic strip can keep track of two separate financial-type accounts (food and cash), dorm access, and library access is quite beyond my knowledge. It almost seems like magic.

A second piece of great technology, one that I put in the life-saving category, is my Palm Pilot. Back in the dark ages, otherwise known as the first semester of my teaching experience, I kept attendance in one book, and kept track of grades in a second book. I calculated grades by hand. But we have to report grades in one form or another eight times a year. And each category--homework, tests, quizzes, etc.--is given a different weight. Then there's the semester exam, which per school policy has to count as 1/7 of the grade. Needless to say, when you start adding up 10-30 different grades with differing weights for over a hundred students, that results in major math issues, much calculator work, and loads of time. Like hours of time. Enter the palm pilot, a hand held computer that fits in my pocket and goes with me everywhere. With a nice piece of teacher-friendly software, it allows me to track attendance and grades. It gives each grade the appropriate weight I tell it to. And it calculates most of the grades automatically. It can even generate reports on attendance, tardies, and grades on each student. Presto! Much time saved and many fewer math errors. (Computers tend to be error free when it comes to calculations.) To top it all off, it gives me gravitas. I give some of my classes a grade based on their in-class performance. They have learned that when I reach for the Palm in my pocket, that means trouble, as I'm usually lowering their grade. Call it fear of Palm. It helps keep control. And of course being the egomaniac that I am, control is what it is all about.

Grade keeping is the best thing about my Palm. But there are peripheral benefits as well. There is all kinds of cool software you can get to go with it. Right now I'm trying the Oxford English Dictionary, which has about 240,000 entries. Contemplate the possibilities. It's awesome word power at your fingertips! (Speaking of word power, one of the high school students here referred to "docents" at Monticello in her online journal entry. Her vocab for one so young puts me to shame.) And it has a word of the day feature, which is way cool, and a great way to educate my students! Today's word? "Sipe." Definition? "A groove or channel in the tread of a tyre." (Yes, it has English spellings in definitions.)

With such technology at my fingertips, I can pretty much die happy.

13 Comments:

Blogger Brad said...

Yes, those card access systems are magic. I used to install them back when I worked for Pelmac. Each card reader is connected to a central computer where you can program individual privileges for different doors at certain times of the day. You can also read a log for each user to see where and when they have been going different places.

Also, when a company had issues with employees leaving at innappropriate times (or stealing) we would program motorized security cameras to zoom in on the door they were using to get footage of them. So remeber, Chad, big brother is watching.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Now I want a PalmPilot! It will make my life better, somehow, right? Maybe I can calculate how many trees I need to cut down before I destroy the whole ecosystem!

Who am I kidding? I am just greedy for new gadgets :) hahahahaha...

4:22 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Some of these students need big brother watching...

And wow, that seems like a lot of wires to string around campus to connect the readers to the central computer. This campus is huge. Or can they tap into existing phone lines?

DJ, there must be some justification you can concoct to buy a Palm. How about expanding your vocabulary? This dictionary software is pretty sweet. Oh, it can also double as an MP3 player.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

And how much do these contraptions cost?

8:29 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

The price varies widely depending on memory, speed, etc., but I got a decent one with over 128 MB of memory for about 160 on ebay.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

I figure 200 is a reasonable price. And an mp3 player eh? Well, that is all the justification I need! :)

Seriously tho, I have thot about getting one just as an address, phonenumber, email, blog address keeper. I have all that info, but it is so scattered around, that it isn't funny...

10:30 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

ryusoma, if address etc. keeper is all you are looking for, a much cheaper version would probably suit you just fine. But it wouldn't be nearly as fun!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

A fellow teacher's husband carries his palm pilot around and whips it out anytime any kind of information is needed. It's pretty amazing. One time we were wondering about the lyrics to a Sound of Music song, and in about a minute he'd found them in some mysterious source. I think it gives him a great feeling of power and knowledge. :-)

12:11 AM  
Blogger CKS said...

So what about reaching for your palm pilot during class to RAISE a student's grade for exceptional brilliance? I am always resentful of teachers like you...always knocking points off, never putting them back on.

9:06 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Ha ha, good point. Problem is, I usually add points on for about 70 percent of my students--just not in class. If I did that for all of them during the week, I'd be writing too frequently on my Palm during class at the expense of valuable learning time. Even so, I do occasionally add points in class, though maybe not in as dramatic fashion as taking off.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Someone sounds bitter. Just remember Asaphat, you can let circumstances make you better or bitter![nothing like some trite advice to get someone annoyed, eh?]

1:36 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Hey Chad, what Palm do you have? let me know, thanks...

8:31 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

I have a Tungsten E, which is about a mid grade model right now. Not the fanciest, but enough to do some cool things, especially with a memory card in the expansion slot.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters