Monday, August 22, 2005

Reveling in Famedom

Just thought I'd let you all know I'm famous now. How so? I'm on WorldCat! Yup, it's true. Look me up if you don't believe me. For those of you who don't know what WorldCat is, it's a huge database used by libraries all over the world. And when I say huge, I mean over a billion entries. Many of these entries do not show up on places like google. It's a subscription-only database, so you probably have to be a college student or have an in with a fairly good library in order to access it. It's a really awesome tool, as it allows researchers to locate materials from libraries all over the world by looking in one central location. For example, you can type in "Sublimity of Faith," and find that Frank Murray's book is located in 21 libraries worldwide, in places as diverse as Duke University, Saint Louis University, Gordon-Conwell Seminary, and Portland Public Library. I have used WorldCat many times in my days as college and grad student for research of various kinds. So imagine my nerdy pleasure in finding out my work is now on it!

Yes, I don't know what I'll do with my new found fame. I mean, how many people can say they have one of the billion listings in WorldCat? I'm guessing only about 350 million people, given the fact that some lucky ones have multiple listings. You know when people who like to flatter you say you're one in a million? That's nice. But can they say you're one of THE 350 million?

Contented sigh. This calls for celebration of some sort. And an autograph signing, to be announced at a later date...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

*feels jealous
Lisa

8:32 AM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

Hurrah! Now I just need an in with a really good library so I can see for myself! One of the 350 million. Wow.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Hey, can I shake your hand the next time we meet? :)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Congrats!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Shay Dawg said...

That's really cool, congrats. But i'm still confused, what excatly is your work? Or is that only for the members to find out?

11:50 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Actually, after reading Craig's "census" you'd think HE was the famous one around here! But don't worry, he can't claim to have a worldwide audience. :-)

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My claim to fame is now, "I was the third grade teacher of this Famous WorldCatter."
*Cashing in on the good stuff*
Bev J

3:20 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

My "work" is my master's thesis, usually available in the library at my grad school, though last time I looked it was checked out.

BTW, I have been overcome with a fear that people would not be able to detect the tongue-in-cheek attitude with which this post was written. Sorry if my fears are an insult to your intelligence. But just in case you think I was really attempting to toot my own horn too much, please understand the sarcasm with which I wrote. Phew! I've now absolved myself.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to worry, Chad. One in 350 million sounded pretty unimportant to me, so I knew you weren't tooting your own horn!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Hahahahahahahahahahahaa...

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters