Saturday, September 03, 2005

Cultivating Popularity

Last year, near the end of the school term, I was a little amused but probably more bothered when I discovered the true feelings of one of my students toward me. On his desk was scrawled "I hate Mr. [my last name]." I wasn't sure how to deal with this hatred. It was a mini crisis. I pointed it out to another teacher, and asked him how he would handle such a situation. Do I make a big deal of it? Do I just ignore it? Do I confront the person who I think wrote it? He suggested I scrawl underneath it "I hate you too." Well, I opted not to follow this advice, and simply let the incident pass. After all, it was the end of the year, the student would soon be out of my life forever, and hopefully he could deal with me a few more weeks.

When setting up my classroom yesterday, a sudden inspiration came over me to counteract any inclination students this year might have to write similarly loving remarks on my desks. Why not plant some graffiti of my own? It is a violation of school rules for students to graffiti desks, but I figured a little pencil wouldn't hurt. And this could serve as a psychological experiment on the power of positive thinking. So I got my pencil out and went to work on my own desks. I scribbled things such as "Mr. [my last name] is cool," "Mr. [my last name] rocks," "I love Mr. [my last name]," and "Mr. [my last name] is an awesome teacher" on various desks throughout the room.

The comments aren't very visible, as the desks are not of the light variety, so pencil doesn't show up too well. Possibly the students will never notice them. However, if you look close enough, you can see them. Only time will tell what impact they will have. Even if they don't do anything, it gives me a chance to chuckle to myself about my cleverness and genius. I guess I need a life...

11 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Huh, you'll have to let us know at the end of the year if you got any comments from it :)

That is underhanded and sneaky in the coolest way! Way to go...

9:26 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Very clever, Mr. S. Except the guys who see these comments might assume they were written by some lovesick female student! Come, come, 'fess up, I'm sure you must have melted a few teenage hearts! Don't worry, though -- enough tales of popping lice will cure 'em. :-D

[Kristi makes a hasty exit before Mr. S. can scold her naughtiness!]

10:11 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

Kristi, you little reminder of lice popping made me go "ugg!!!". Maybe someone needs to visit and be a substitute and fill these poor kids in on the real Mr "S", heh, heh, heh...

4:25 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Ha ha, Kristi. But it happens. However, the key is to use it to that student's advantage by encouraging them to work hard. And that brings a good benefit to the student, in the form of a good grade!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Use what to the student's advantage? Don't tell me you would go so low as to take advantage of a poor girl's emotions for the benefit of her grade?? Why Mr. S., who ever would suspect such a conniving mind beneath that innocent, intellectual exterior?

8:12 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Whatever it takes to get students to learn! And if it's "taking advantage" of them it's certainly not in a bad way. :-)

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v137/strider2004/redsoxpicture.jpg[/IMG]

6:54 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I hope you know I'm just teasing you. I really have no concerns about the impeccability of your conduct and character! (Though I still think your "creativity" borders on the "conniving".)

8:12 PM  
Blogger ljm said...

That's hilarious, Chad! Maybe you should insert some profanity for authenticity.

8:39 AM  
Blogger CKS said...

"Mr. Sandford is &*@#$%*& awesome!"

1:57 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Ha ha ha. Great idea ljmax. I hadn't thought of that, but it definitely fits the culture...

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters