Thursday, September 08, 2005

Humorous Item of the Day

In response to the question "What do you want to learn about in U.S. History?" one of my college-bound juniors wrote this: "I would like to learn a lot about battles . . . I want to learn about the different groups of fighters such as: cavalry: infantry: archers and what role they played in the battles."

While an English teacher may shudder at the grammar, my primary concern is what U.S. battle he is thinking employed any significant use of archers. I suppose I could get creative and talk about the arrows that just didn't seem to hit their mark in, say, the battles of the Civil War. (You want to know the real reason the South lost? They didn't have any good places to sharpen their arrow tips, so most of them just clanged off the body armor of the Union troops rather than reaching their mark.) But that would be taking my story-telling to a level with which even I am uncomfortable...

7 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Come on Chad! Do it! that would just be funny, until they fired you of course :)

6:59 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Maybe he'd be interested in American Indian history? Like before they got a hold of guns.

I like reading your teaching stories, so I'm glad you're not too busy to blog now and then! :-)

10:46 PM  
Blogger KMS said...

Yeah, what about the Indians, Chad? It's not such a crazy request to learn about archers. Maybe your student is a Native American.

11:16 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Ok kms, can you name any battles in which archers played a significant role? Even Native Americans usually used guns when they faced colonists. But to give the student the benefit of the doubt, I hope he was thinking along the same lines as you are. That would be understandable.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Isaac Demme said...

Well archers were used in nearly every battle in the indian wars, from Cortes to Custer. At the same time, they don't seem to have been terribly effective in any that I know of.

Some of the early spanish expeditions used archers (including crossbowmen), and the English probably had a few at Roanoke.

Still I don't see archery playing a significant role in any major battles on the continent after the arrival of Europeans.

10:01 AM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Thanks for the qualifications, Isaac, as well as the general confirmation of my original point.

3:55 PM  
Blogger KMS said...

Well then, if your student wants to know about the role archers played in US battles, tell him "a dying one."

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters