Thursday, October 27, 2005

Can You Name This Song?

In a random act of craziness yesterday, I gave each of my U.S. History classes the chance at a small amount of extra credit on the test they were taking. To get the points, they had to listen to me sing a short song segment, then identify the famous show or movie it came from. These were the words I sang, in my close to falsetto voice: "Think of me, think of me fondly, when we've said goodbye." Can you name this song? (Please don't spoil it by naming it in a comment, but feel free to say whether you think you know it!)

For general amusement, these were some of the responses I got on the tests, besides the occasional correct answer:
Gone with the Wind (many people guessed this one), Les Miserables, Willy Wonka, Sound of Music, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The Love Boat.

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love that song! And now it's stuck in my head, which isn't bad.

7:29 PM  
Blogger ljm said...

Remember me, once in a while, promise me you'll try...

8:20 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I know it, I know it!!

10:15 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

"Oklahoma," right? :-)

Last year one of my profs decided to give extra credit on a final exam if we could identify the genre of a pop contemporary piece. In his mind, it was like handing out free candy, because EVERYONE can identify contemporary genres, right? (reggae, hip-hop, latin, heavy metal, etc.) Well, not this everyone. I was so mad that what was supposed to be easy extra credit did nothing for me. I was clueless and felt like the biggest idiot in the whole class. :-) At least you didn't assume this would be a no-brainer for everyone.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Could it be...Bethlehem's Big Night? No, no...wait...it's got to be in One Voice! Hee hee hee...Did you really sing for your students? Wow.

3:30 PM  
Blogger KMS said...

"We never said our love was evergreen . . ." That's not even a historical show! At least Les Mis would have been.

10:37 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Yup, I really sang, to the great amusement of many students. Some laughed out loud. One student wanted to get his cell phone out to record it, but I put a stop to that. I can just imagine the web post that would make...

KMS, this is a historical show, in the sense that it has been a fixture in American culture for the last two decades, so now is an important part of American history. Like my justification?

11:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I wouldn't do it. It was just wishful thinking.

11:15 PM  
Blogger TripleNine said...

I better know it, seeing as I own both the cast recording and now the movie as well. Totally agree with your justification of historicality :)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Linds said...

Me too!! I know it too. And Craig, I thought he said NOT to say it in the comment... now everyone knows it's "Oklahoma!!"

6:36 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Maybe my teacher will sing songs from famous historical musicals--say, Mary Poppins--and I can get history credit! I'll ask her tomorrow.

11:18 PM  
Blogger lis said...

AHS, if she sings movie songs (or Gilbert and Sullivan) you're sure to ace the exam!

Sox, Archibald Asparagus would heartily approve of your musical choice. Try "My High Silk Hat" next time!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters