Thursday, February 16, 2006

Confessions of a Chalkboard Novice

While reading a recent blog of someone else, I was reminded of one glaring fault of mine as a teacher. I'm pretty much perfect in every way as a teacher (hateful/loveable, funny/dull, hard/easy, etc., etc.), but for this fatal flaw. I have not yet learned to conquer it, but am hoping someone out there might be able to give me some tips to save me. After all, I think I'm probably just this one skill short of receiving teacher of the year somewhere, making lots of money, and retiring from the classroom to hit the lecture circuit.

This weakness has to do with writing on a chalkboard. Yes, my friends, I have not yet mastered the art. Specifically, I have not figured out how to use chalk and not make those terrible squeaking sounds associated with chalk hitting the board in the wrong way. I've been told to write on the edge of the chalk, until it forms a sort of tip, and then use the tip. The advice I've been given has only had limited effect. Even when I'm at my best, and carefully write, I still make the occasional squeaky/annoying noise. This produces sharp pangs of guilt over my deficiencies as a professional educator. I clepped out of chalkboard writing 101, yet I am still lacking in one of the most basic skills. I need help. I'm close to despondent. Maybe a shrink could assist. Is there some way this could be seen as a blessing in disguise? A strength that only looks like a weakness? The best excuse I can concoct is that it keeps students awake, even while they grimace outwardly and growl inwardly at my incompetence.

Even with this as an excuse, I don't feel quite right. Thankfully my administrator's have not observed my deficiency. I think I have coincidentally managed to conduct lessons without the use of the chalkboard while they have observed. Thank goodness, or else I might have been fired for incompetency some time ago. And surely my beginner chalkboard skills factored into fellow teachers not recommending me for some award. I'm sure the squeaks on the board penetrate the walls into classrooms next door, annoying fellow teachers and inspiring biting gossip and criticism about me while they are at lunch and I'm not.

I have tried to combat my problem. I bought a white board, which eliminates the noise. But it's only so big, and often I have to write much more than be fit on a white board. What can be done? I'm close to despair. Someone, please help.

13 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

DR Jones here.

It is my professional opinion, that you are beyond help. Just give up and accept this failure and curl into a little ball.

Thanks for coming, that will be $150...

4:58 PM  
Blogger ljm said...

Use your fingernails instead

6:45 PM  
Blogger lis said...

Try sidewalk chalk.

9:46 AM  
Blogger hesper48 said...

You probably need to consult the advice of that psychology teacher next door! She'd probably tell you that trying to write on the chalkboard with screechy chalk is causing too much stress in your life and that you should try writing with, say a cheese stick instead! Go ahead, ask her!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I haven't used a chalk board in years. I didn't know civilized schools still used them! My school has big white boards which I like, but I confess I still have a hard time writing neatly on them.
I'm sure you're not alone in your chalkboard writing deficiencies!

1:02 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Yes Kristi, I guess we're uncivilized in my school. Actually, I think it's a cost thing. There's no way taxpayers in my city will go along with paying to replace mottled and marred, decades-old chalkboards with big white boards. It would cost too much. Besides, those chalkboards were good enough for the students great grandparents, so why isn't it good enough for them? If we tolerate this kind of carefree spending (so says the taxpayer), the next thing teachers want might be at least one computer in each classroom. Hasn't happened yet, but who knows, it might. And such a request could not be tolerated.

There, do I sound like a flaming liberal, or what?

5:33 PM  
Blogger Shay Dawg said...

powerpoint! welcome to 2006.

12:57 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

I think you should do a video plea to that famous graduate of your school...demonstrating your need and asking for funds to put up white boards in the school. I doubt THAT has ever been done before. I don't need to tell YOU to be creative!!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

ask God to give you a way with the chalk...or ask God if he's trying to teach you humility(jk)... hm, Don't write too hard, just a suggestion...and write slow...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Shay Dawg said...

I remember in school teachers would once and a while assign a student to do the writing for a day. Everyone would want to do it! Maybe you could do that sometime. Keeps them interested and gives an opportunity to be interactive with lesson in some way.

11:46 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

That's a good idea, shay dawg. Maybe I'll try that.

I already set some of my students in study to work on various tasks when I have them. Usually I find bored souls willing to do something or other.

5:22 PM  
Blogger drewey fern said...

I, too, have a school with a VERY limited budget, and I use a chalkboard. It is a lovely chalkboard. But I find that some chalk works better on it than others. Perhaps the chalk is the problem, not you! Blame-shifting. Works great every time.

3:45 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

That must be it!! I now blame the chalk, and not myself. A great idea!

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters