Saturday, December 24, 2005

More Tales of Students...And Other Ramblings

More on Matt. At the end of class yesterday as he walks out he gives me a hug. I think it was an outward display of his enthusiasm for life in general, as well as the beginning of vacation. Not having many social skills, it probably didn't occur to him that this might make his classmates think he's even more odd than they already do. It was rather awkward. I have never had a student try to hug me before. I might have to have a little conversation with him some time about this. As much as I appreciate the gesture, it's probably not a good idea to have students trying to hug me all the time...

More on "Anne Frank," who I'll call Lucy. She told me the other day that she didn't know the swastika was an offensive symbol. In fact, a classmate of hers had told her that it was a Jewish symbol, and that she should draw some. Then, when a teacher approached them, her classmate told her to hide/erase it quickly, because it could get them in trouble. "I didn't know it was bad" Lucy proclaimed. I hope her gullibility doesn't really get her into trouble some time. On a totally different topic, she's trying to set me up with her study teacher. In fact, Lucy suggested to me, with a mischievous smile on her face, that this teacher is my "crush." I didn't know that "crush" can be used as a noun, but apparently it can.

For the last day before break I had all my U.S. History classes play what I called "History Telephone." It was a variation on the game a number of friends and I played a few weeks ago, in which you draw a famous phrase or term, pass it along, have the next person identify what they think it is, pass it along, have the next person draw it, etc. In this case I gave them historical terms or phrases that we have studied this year to draw. At least one student groaned that they had to do something related to history. Three of my classes had been rewarded the right to a party because they had averaged above a certain grade on part of their test. I think this student wanted to just party. But they played the game, and most of them seemed to really enjoy it. As was to be expected, there were some pretty hilarious disasters as the terms got drawn and misinterpreted along the way.

Memo to the world: it seems that few high school students have any qualms about cheating. For example, I have one of my U.S. History classes the first period of the day, while the other three come at the end. The first class did not average above the benchmark, so they were not allowed to bring in food for a party. (I still gave them candy and we played the game.) One of my students in this class came in and started complaining about not being able to have a party. She said it was unfair, because they were the first class, so they had less time to study for a test throughout the day (gotta love the logic of that one!), and the other classes got to hear what was on the test from the first class. She said she knew that students from the first class share information with other students about what is on a particular test. This isn't a big surprise to me, but it's still disappointing to hear. Sometimes I try to foil that by giving different versions of tests. Other times I have not, but have told students that cheating is not worth the guilt their conscience will feel for the rest of their lives if they know they received a grade they did not deserve. I'm afraid this (healthy) reminder is ignored by most students, but at least they have been warned.

5 Comments:

Blogger Booker said...

Merry Christmas!!!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

How else would you use crush but as a noun? "She is my crush friend"? :) I know what you mean, though. It usually doesn't refer to a person. I didn't know it could either, but apparently it can. ;)

3:33 PM  
Blogger TripleNine said...

WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY ROOM!!! You may be my land lord but that doesn't excuse you from repercussions!! BEWARE! BEWARE!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Oh my. It looks like war has been declared in the apartment of triplenine and schillsbloodysox. Now this is truly a case of mutually assured destruction.

1:45 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

You're right aaron, it is a noun.

And in fairness to this student, the OED does say that crush can be "a person that one is infatuated with." So I guess it works.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters