Monday, November 14, 2005

I Love My Home and Other Ramblings

Busy, busy, busy, that's been the name of the game the last week. I'm still busy, but I'll try to rapidly ramble a bit to let those who may care know something about my life recently...

I love my house!!! It's so sweet to finally be in my own place. And it's close to work!! Like ten minutes. It's wonderful, I get to sleep in to ten minutes of six each morning. Can this be heaven? I'm also changing my diet a bit now that I'm on my own. Back to some of my grad school fare, which means McDonald's or some other fast food place on occasion, and plenty of tuna helper, hamburger helper, mac and cheese, etc. The frozen dinners will remain for a while yet, too.

I have an excuse to cook now that I just bought a new stove. The old one was in sad shape, so off to Sears I trotted with my Mom and we picked out a brand new one. The refrigerator might need replacing sometime as well, but it'll hold for now. Can't buy too many appliances at once, I already feel like I'm spending money like water in moving into the place. Shades, trim, furniture, some paint, a vacuum cleaner (to keep the brand new Berber carpet in decent shape), it adds up pretty quick. But I've been blessed, I'm still paying my credit card balance in full each month, so things are ok.

Tell me never to assign papers to my students again, please! I just recently finished a round of grading 100 papers. Yes, that's right. A hundred papers, in case you can't interpret arabic numerals. It's the bad part of teaching four upper level classes. They are very well behaved, but also need more attention academically. In other words, they have to be pushed, or made to work, which means they have to write. And that means I have to grade a ton. At 10-15 minutes per paper (sometimes a little more), you can do the math and figure out how much grading that is, in addition to the normal grind of planning and trying to have a social life. And trying to watch the Pats when possible!

Oh, and auditions for our first show are done. I'm putting up the cast list tomorrow. The lead will be a blonde freshman girl. Think that's scary? It is. She's very blonde too. Example: I asked everyone on their audition form whether they would accept any role, and what role they're auditioning for. She said she was auditioning for the lead role, and would not accept anything else. So I asked her about it in school today. Was she trying to be a diva? Why wouldn't she accept another role? She misunderstood the question! I don't think you can get any clearer than "Will you accept any role, even if not the one specified." But it wasn't clear enough for her. She said she did not mean to say that, she only knew of that one role in the show, so put it down. Well, lucky for her she's getting that role anyway, because she doesn't look any other part and she's extremely talented. Despite her ditziness, she's also very energetic and flighty, which fits her role very well. So all should be well, at least after those twenty some people not cast get over their disappointment, and stop daydreaming about murdering the stupid drama director who didn't detect how much more talented they were than others.

And speaking of talent--or lack thereof--I auditioned last night to be in a show myself. A Christmas Carol, to be exact. I managed to croak on at least one note (well, voice cracked to be more specific), but finished the rest of the piece today. Now it's sitting on pins and needles time for me to see if I get a call... It seems unlikely I'll get a large role, if any. But I'll be ok with simply getting back on stage.

That's it for now folks. Cheerio.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

you seem busy! when do you drama...during the school day or is it after school?
THat's great about moving into your own place. Sweet:)
God bless you in all your endeavors.

6:17 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Definitely do drama after school, though on occasion I try to be dramatic in the classroom as well!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

yay for spending money like water! I like that...

12:11 PM  
Blogger Linds said...

Hurray for you & auditioning! Keep us posted on what happens!! :)

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

You know, with gray hair and a sour face, I can just picture you as Scrooge! Of course the best part is when he transforms into a nice person, which would be easy for you, I'm sure. But it would be so much fun to play Scrooge and be miserably mean. Heh, heh.

I got to play nasty Aunt March in "Little Women" when I was 9 and it was so much fun being a grouch!

10:16 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Ha ha, I just noticed the typo. "Today" should be "okay."

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters