Sunday, August 19, 2007

What if Heaven Lacks a Mansion with Your Name on It?

This is not heresy, but possible reality. And it's biblically based. Now hear me out. Or rather, let me quote the relevant passage:
"In my father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." (John 14:2) [insert warning of possible "preachiness" in this post here; read at your own risk!]

Undeniably there are many mansions in heaven, and there are places set apart in heaven for everyone who is saved. But there is little evidence that there is a mansion per person. In fact--although I am not and make no claim to be a Greek scholar--the Greek word for "place" can be translated "spot," "generally in space but limited by occupancy," "room," and "quarter." It is especially interesting that the Greek word used in the passage is not a possible alternate one that could have been used, one which connotes a larger locality, and is similar to words like "location," and "home."

So picture this possibility: you get to heaven, and after all the joyful, tearless reunions you are shown a place to live. It is in a huge mansion built for 50,000 or so. Your room is a tiny spot, or hole in the wall, in that mansion. Your mansion sits in a row of 50,000 or so other mansions.

Are you depressed by this thought? I hope not. I've been pondering the possibility that if I, or anyone, is bummed out by this, then maybe my focus in wanting to go to heaven is wrong. Am I looking forward to heaven because of material riches that will be there? Or is the focus on who will be there? Seems to me like the latter is the most important.

I don't mean to be too critical of those great hymnwriters of the past who have written about mansions for everyone up in heaven, and all the great things there will be for people to enjoy. After all, the Bible is full of plenty of references to riches and gold streets and pretty luxurious stuff up there, in terms of material things. So it seems appropriate to revel in it to some degree. At the same time, I think some hymnwriters and some speakers have perpetuated what seems to be an extrabiblical idea: that is, that there really is a mansion with your own name on it in heaven, or maybe just your nuclear family's name on it. This could be, but the language used in the Bible doesn't suggest it. Whatever it is, it will be greater than we're able to imagine. But it might not include that TV and cushy chair you always hoped for, along with a huge dining room, a jacuzzi, or whatever else you were dreaming of for your own space...

This makes me wonder how it is that such a concept came to be an accepted part of church thinking. At least I have had this conception. From what I have observed in church, others do as well. So I expect it is an idea that many widely believe. When did such an idea start, especially if it is extrabiblical? My best guess is that it emerged sometime in the 19th century, about the same time that the wealthy decided to be conspicuous and display their wealth. Actually, that is somewhat of a stupid statement, for the wealthy have conspicuously displayed their wealth in America long before the 19th century. A better way of putting it might be that the 1800s is when an increasing number of people became wealthy enough to show their wealth, and were in such great numbers that they may have attracted more attention than the wealthy few had before. Or at least then people were starting to think that they might become as wealthy as the next guy, if they only worked for it, as opposed to back in the 17th century when it was pretty obvious that an indentured servant newly arrived in Maryland to work on a tobacco plantation was not ever going to be as wealthy as Landon Carter (a really rich guy, if you couldn't have guessed this!).

But I digress. So you have people thinking there is enough social mobility to become the next millionaire. After all, Andrew Carnegie did it, right? So why can't I? This context could have been what set the stage for preachers to see the material focus of their parishioners. So they decided to preach against a material focus. But how did they frame things? Focus on the spiritual and you will be rich in the next life! You'll even get your own mansion! Those millionaires flaunting their wealth have nothing on what heaven will be like! Warm and fuzzy feelings abounded. And the concept stuck in the Christian ethos. Heaven=mansions for all. Heaven=material blessings beyond what we will ever experience on earth, or should ever try to experience on earth.

Of course, this is highly speculative. I don't have evidence to support this. But I suggest there is room for some doctoral student in Christian history to look into this for a dissertation. "How Christian myths evolved" or something of the sort would be a good topic. So start digging, you wannabe scholar. Look into when sermons on "individual mansions for everyone in heaven" became popular, and then dig up reasons why preachers picked those kinds of sermons.

Lest anyone think I'm out in left field or something, I'm not against believing there will be wonderful things in heaven. Even wonderful material things. But I also believe that if this is the main reason you want to get there, and the main thing you talk about in the context of going there, there might be something missing. And if you're planning on a dream house, prepare for something way better than that (it can't be worse than you can imagine, right?): a hole in the wall! :-)

7 Comments:

Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Not to pile on or anything, but they might not even be mansions either. Just dwelling places, which I think is the more literal and perhaps accurate translation of the word.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Claire said...

Did you read my comment on Sojourning's blog or something?

I don't necessarily want a mansion. A mansion is too unwieldy and vast. A big house- maybe. But a mansion- nah. However- I think most important is The Setting. I'd be happy with a hobbit hole if it had a beautiful view.

What I'm getting from you - as I skimmed this lengthy dissertation- ( and I may be getting this wrong due to said skimming)- is a vision of a drab, celestial cubicle...a heavenly pigeonhole. NO! I rebel! I think God is going to tailor make it so it hits the sweet spot in our hearts when we see it. There has got to be some aspect of GLORIOUSNESS to it...He created our hearts to hunger after beauty. What kind of God would He be to fill our heart with beauty-hunger, only to totally change that and transmogrify us into little moles when we get to the hereafter...I don't know. I'm probably missing the point. I'm just in a rambly mood.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

I agree Chadwick! I suspect that the materialism that dominates our modern idea of Heaven is not correct at all. Just like the idea of us sitting on clouds playing harps for eternity...

5:44 PM  
Blogger wideyed said...

If Earth is only a shadow, then Heaven is going to surpass all our expectations.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Chad- I agree with everything you said!


But having said that, let me now agree with Claire. :-)

I don't know why other people want personal mansions in heaven, but I do know why I want one, and it isn't entirely materialistic (though I know materialism plays into it). :-)

God grants us the desires of our hearts and some place in the deepest part of my heart I desire a home. Not a house, but a place of peace, security, love, routine and joy. I don't know if am speaking for most girls or not, but I would guess I am when I say we don't see a house on earth so much as a bragging piece or a collection of cool things. Rather it is a haven where we are valued and protected and important individually, where our most precious people gather, where peace and order and beauty are maintained.

You know what scares me about heaven? Being lost in a sea of saints. Knowing that there is a home up there with my name on assures me that Jesus cares about me individually and that he has a place/home/mansion where I will have all of those things.

My most important person (Jesus) will be there and that is all that really matters, but I would love to know that Katie was important to enough to him individually to make sure that she was at home in heaven.
"...so He guided them to their desired haven..." Ps. 107:30

(And amen to all that Claire said about beauty!)

7:30 AM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Claire--I did not read your comment on Sojourning's blog.
And I pretty much agree with everything that others have said too. But I think Claire created a straw man out of my position by not reading carefully what I said. There'll be nothing drab about heaven, but it will probably look far different from what some people have imagined it as looking, since those imaginings have been extrabiblical. It will certainly be glorious. To suggest I denied this would be to suggest I was a heretic, as the Bible makes it clear that heaven will be glorious!

Katie--Scared about something in heaven? What's wrong with this picture! I would suggest your fears are based on a conception of heaven that isn't the way it is.

And can't a home in heaven be a place of everything you mentioned without it being a mansion with your name on it? I think it can. So I agree with that description of the nature of heaven. But would it be any less true that Jesus cares about you individually if there wasn't a plot of something with your name (only) over the doorway? I think not. The nature of God cannot be changed based upon our (sometimes false) conceptions of what has to be a result of God's nature.

Personally, I would switch your last, speculative comment to an assertion, regarding an indivual's importance: you are certainly important enough to be made to feel at home. That is a given. Also given: heaven will be glorious, etc. What is less of a given is exactly how it will look. But it seems you agree with that...

3:30 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I do agree that what it looks like doesn't really matter and its a hard subject to argue about without going there, and the Bible verse about it being even more than we can imagine kind sweeps the discussion off the table, but STILL... I guess I am saying the home part DOES matter very much to me, or the plot of land or dwelling place, or whatever it is.

Let's put it this way- From the vantage point of earth I look foward to my heavenly home very much, including that mansion. It makes me sad to think that it might not really there.

From a spiritual/rational point of view I know perfectly well that whatever happens will be ok, and more than ok and I shouldn't worry about it. And I'm not worried.

But I still want that house in heaven.

(and saying in my last comment that I was scared of being lost in a sea of saints was incorrect- I'm not really scared- I was just using it to make a point)

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters