Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Mexican Mormons

At the expense of my one my students, I have to pass this along. (Little inspiration or being otherwise occupied will keep this short.) I justify my making fun of her by the fact that I also have great affection for her, so it's all in good humor. On second thought, I'd probably also make fun of any student I disliked, if given the chance. But suffice it to say that this one is not in that category...

It has to do with something that is common with high school students: a tendency not to use quite the right word in any given sentence. The poor word choices pop up rather unexpectedly in any given paper, and sometimes to my great amusement. Case in point: her paper on Mormonism included something like this: "Most Mormons live on the outskirts of America." I suspect she meant "outside" of America, as in Africa or somewhere. Nevertheless, in light of the recent hot news topic regarding (illegal) immigration, this conjures up a rather funny picture in my mind: Mexican Mormons lurking around the U.S. border, just waiting for their chance to hop the line and enter the country. Or maybe they just sit contentedly south of the border, singing hymns and reading the Book of Mormon...

2 Comments:

Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

I reckon I been outa high school fer quite a spell now and I find thet I'm still a-searchin' for the right words... 8~)

9:03 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!

praying for ya too...

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters