Thursday, December 28, 2006

Sally the Fashion Policewoman

Ok, the time has come for more tales from the front. Or rather tales of students. I just saw this student play in a game recently, so she is fresh in my memory, and what better time to blog about her than over break?

I'll call this girl Sally. I have known Sally since her freshman year, when I was on caf duty. I didn't know much about her then, except that she was a friend of some students of mine in homeroom, and that she hung out with a bunch of freshman girls during lunch. She also made a regular visit to the snack or soda machine every day (I can't remember which it was). Pretty boring. She seemed to be a jock, as she played basketball and softball. I saw her in a softball game once, which I attended because I had another player in my class.

Last year Sally showed up in my study the second semester. She and another softball player were in the same class with me. They liked to talk. It was a struggle sometimes to get them to be quiet. Having said that, Sally was not as bad as some of the other students in that particular study. However, I learned she had no compunction about lying if she thought she could get away with it. One day when I was questioning another student about an absence, and I knew that student was not there, Sally insisted she was. From that point on I knew she shouldn't be taken at her word. Some students seem to have no problem trying to back up a fellow classmate in their cutting of a class by lying and claiming they were present. Sally is one of those. Unfortunately such students don't seem to think about the consequences (i.e., they can't be trusted) of such actions. They think they're being cool or whatever, but really are hurting themselves.

During this time in study Sally learned that I could juggle, as I showed students once what I could do. From then on she practically begged me every day--at least it seemed like it was--to juggle for her and the class. I guess she was really bored with study hall.
Near the end of the year, when students got their schedules, Sally informed me that she had me for U.S. History next year. I did my best to let her know how challenging and demanding it would be, but that didn't seem to faze her. Not that I really want to intimidate hard working and determined students that much. But I do want to communicate to students that my class is not for those who are academically faint of "heart."

So Sally has been in my U.S. History class from the beginning of the year. She has continued to ask me to juggle, though thankfully her requests are not daily. I finally obliged the day before break.

Another thing about Sally is her bluntness. She sometimes says the most random things, unrelated to class. One theme concerns my wardrobe, and personal appearance in general. She seems to have made it her mission to serve as my fashion police officer. One day when I was wearing brown shoes instead of my normal black ones, she informed me that my shoes didn't match. Another day when I forgot to wear a tie and made a joke about it being dress down day (didn't you get the memo?) she told me I should refrain from wearing a tie all the time, as I look better without it. Another day she told me (and the class) that my tie didn't match my shirt. If I do something different with my hair, she's sure to comment. And did I ask for someone to play surrogate mother/wife? I think not!

Hey, it just struck me! The next time she makes such a comment, I think this will be my reply: You want to marry me, Sally? Because you sure sound like a wife!

One might think that this girl lacks the social conditioning which typically, by age sixteen, has trained students not to make such comments about their teachers, in front of them and the rest of the class. My opinion is that this is her way to get attention. This is a little funny, given that she is also a talented basketball player, she just won the MVP award for the holiday tournament the team participated in, and she might play basketball at a Division I college someday. But sometimes it's the jocks who think they can play smart aleck and get away with it.

In case you think I'm really miffed with this girl, I'm not. She can be somewhat irritating, but mostly I think it's funny. Never a dull moment where I am!

6 Comments:

Blogger drewey fern said...

Oh my word, Chad! Never a dull moment, indeed! Next time I see you, I'm going to have to join Sally's ranks and ask you to juggle - I didn't know you could do that!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Booker said...

good thing she didn't see you when I dropped off that book for 999, I'm sure she would have had some things to say :-)

4:54 PM  
Blogger KMS said...

Um, asking Sally if she wants to marry you seems about as risque as teaching Civil War battles from your new tie, if you catch my drift. I can see that on your My Space account already.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

I didn't know could juggle! I should ask you to do it everytime I see you.

Sally sounds amusing. Though it's not really fun having your wardrobe criticized by someone whose opinion you don't really care about, it's nice to know someone else notices every small detail of people's outfits! :)

11:48 PM  
Blogger hesper48 said...

Just remember that there are people who can tell you what you wore to the family Thanksgiving get-together last year and there are people who couldn't tell you what shirt you wore yesterday if their lives depended on it! Sally is one of the former. Next time tell her that since a teacher's salary doesn't afford you a pair of shoes to go with each outfit, you happen to like the contrast achieved from wearing brown shoes with black slacks! I'm sure she'll have a comeback. . .!

9:43 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

HAPPY 2007!!!!!

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters