Saturday, February 24, 2007

Winter "Break" Is Here

I think one of the themes I've emphasized in past posts, whenever I talk about school "breaks," is how much of a misnomer that is. Only summer time is really a break, and even then it's not because there's always so much to do/that could be done to prepare for next year's classes, etc.

I am now on winter "break." Here is a partial to-do list, which admittedly will involve some fun stuff, but also much work:

1. Go with siblings to see Mary Poppins in NYC. Hooray!
2. Attend part of my monthly condo board of directors meeting, then leave early to see girls b-ball tournament game. (Two students of mine play. They asked me yesterday if I was going, and I said yes. How can I not if it actually means something to them for me to be there?)
3. Correct one set of Civics tests (18 of them).
4. Correct three sets of U.S. History essays (total pages numbering anywhere from 240 to 480. This will be a chore!)
5. Write an article for TOR by the March 1st deadline.
6. Read a novel as part of my duties as drama director. We've been asked to do some dramatic readings from it, so I have to read it to figure out what that might include.
7. Read the script for Cheaper by the Dozen again, and maybe block it out, so I'll be ready to go when we hold auditions the week after break and get into rehearsals.
8. Correct one set of U.S. History bibliography quizzes (30 or so of them).
9. Correct 80 pages of U.S. History reports on something/someone from the 1920s.
10. Correct 1 set of World History questions on primary source docs.
11. Complete paperwork for my summer job, which I am taking in VA once again.
12. Read assigned readings for a history conference I'll be attending in two weeks on Espionage in the 20th century. This will be fun!
13. Complete my taxes, if a belated W-2 form I'm waiting on finally shows up. This will only be fun if I get a refund over 100 dollars, or something substantial. But I'm not counting on it...
14. Play some computer games. Yeah, this will likely jump to the top of the list!
15. Watch 24.
16. Watch Lost, even though I am somewhat disappointed so far with the new episodes (perhaps more on that in another post).
17. Sleep, if I have time.
18. Attend a boys b-ball game? Don't know for sure yet. Depends on how I feel.
19. Prepare lessons for the week after break.

I guess that's it for now.

3 Comments:

Blogger drewey fern said...

I know what you mean about break not being much of a break - my list also included grading, planning for the rest of the year, TOR article, and taxes! We're practically twins! Except, of course, I only had 15 papers or so... Oy vay. And yet, I also fit in friend time, and the change of pace is nice. I trust it will be a good, productive, and change-of-pace-y week for you!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Aaron said...

Wow, that's a LOT of tests! Sounds like you'll have a busy week. I hope the change will be refreshing anyway.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

That doesn't sound like much of a break to me, but hope it's been fun!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters