Monday, April 30, 2007

Pearl Harbor the Movie Help

Ok, I'm questioning my sanity and accuracy on something, since my regular challenge-everything-rudely (it's all about the attitude, people, keep that in mind!) student suggested today that I was out to lunch to say that the film "Pearl Harbor" portrays the use of Japanese kamikaze pilots. For some reason I really thought this was true. I thought I read it somewhere or something. Can anyone who has seen the movie help me out on this? Can you say that someone watching this film might get the (wrong) impression that kamikaze pilots were used at Pearl Harbor? Or am I the misinformed one? Someone who knows or remembers this film, please help. I really don't want to have to go find the movie and look at it to answer my nagging questions on this. Just tell me if I'm right or wrong.

3 Comments:

Blogger brandywine said...

The pilots are not the main point of the movie, but you're right.

Read here.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Isaac Demme said...

It's worth pointing out that the movie entitled "Pearl Harbor" isn't about the battle of Pearl Harbor, which only gets a bit of airtime.

It has been a long time since I saw it, and I don't remember a kamikaze attack, but there could very well be one in there somewhere, and it would not necessarily have been during the depiction of the Pearl Harbor raid (the movie went all the way up to and through the Doolittle raid, so it might have even portrayed a kamikaze attack in proper context, but I really don't remember).

2:24 PM  
Blogger a said...

Kamikaze activity didn't really start until later in the war, when things turned bad for Japan. That was way after Pearl Harbor.

Kamikaze missions were sent out only to destroy large Navy boats, sometime in the later half of the war. Although the movie does include battles other than Pearl Harbor, notably the Doolittle bombing raids in the summer of 1945, I can't remember any scene involving an attack on a US Navy ship. No NAVY no Kamikaze.

You're in the right.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters