Friday, June 09, 2006

Prayer Helps

For those of you who read my last post and were provoked to pray, a hearty thank you. Prayer helps, that's for sure. Although this situation is not fully resolved, and has left some unpleasant feelings about some students and how it has all played out, it has not made me hate my job or anything that drastic. And I don't think I'm permanently damaged. Grace has been granted to me. I'm learning that amidst the pleasure associated with working with teenagers comes occasional bouts of pain, such as I recently experienced. These bouts can leave scars, but are also learning experiences. I remind myself that I am working with fallen individuals who also lack a great deal of maturity. Remembering this gives perspective to everything, even if situations are not easy.

And there is so much positive involved in working with students that it is silly to dwell on the negative for more than short periods of time. One of my hispanic students in World History who failed the first semester and third quarter has turned himself totally around. He is now doing his work diligently and really trying on tests. He should pass the semester. This is a blessing, especially when so many others who fail to start with tend to continue in that pattern. I think for this student there is external motivation at work besides my natural charisma (which should be enough, but what can I say?), such as wanting to become a sophomore or avoid the wrath of parents. Nevertheless, it is nice to see positive change. I also have a bunch of diligent U.S. History students who have been pushed hard all year long, and continue to excel. I know some of them probably complain behind my back at the heavy work load. I am not an easy teacher for those looking to get a good grade without doing a lot of work. But I am proud of many of them. This includes those who have enough talent that they should be earning an A, and are, as well as students who do not have as much natural intelligence, but nevertheless work really hard and earn a B or B+. These types of students are a joy to teach.

Then there's also summer to look forward to, as well as next year's classes. I'm already anticipating a new crop of fresh minds to shape (like putty in my hand, heh, heh), as well as the return of students who like me enough that they have signed up for another class with me! I'm learning that for the professional teacher, the job never really ends. For those of you who think teachers "get their summers off," think again. Maybe this will ring true after years of experience, but for now I have a fairly large amount of work to do to prepare for next year's classes. Ever try to teach or prepare an honors level class for Ivy League bound students (and other "smart" kids) in a subject you are not very familiar with without a level-appropriate textbook? That's one of my jobs this summer! As a teacher I feel I should bring my "A" game to the classroom. This means staying ahead of the students, especially those with sharp minds who will eat you alive (or at least complain to their parents that you're an idiot) if they sense you are not well versed in the subject.

The honors class is only one of the new courses I have to prep. The other is a brand new class (History of the Middle East) that I have to design. And given the current budget situation in my town, I don't know if I'll even have a text to offer students to use. That's right, no text! This adds to the fun/challenge of teaching. But give me a roomful ("roomful" is not really a word, but it should be, so I'm using it as if it is) of students who want to learn the material--or at least pass the course--and teaching is a lot easier than dealing with a class where half of the students don't care what their grade is. Middle East should fall under the former category. Suffice it to say that summer will provide a nice change of pace, although it will be full of stuff to do. Bring on the reading list, transcribing, and learning/supervising those who are learning more history.

6 Comments:

Blogger ljm said...

Wow. Your resiliency is admirable. I just can't believe you called your girlfriend "fat"!! I hope she doesn't read this...

1:15 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

( That last deleted comment was from me- I just realized that I had put your name in it...)

Oh my word...I just read your previous post for the first time today...(I've been slacking off reading a lot of blogs in the last month while I've been temping.) I'm so sorry. This too shall pass. Maybe you should have stuck with what's-her-name- your former fraudulent fiancee from Manchester...;)Anyway- My deepest sympathies. Go sue the bum.

I was intrigued to hear about your upcoming History of the Middle East class. Going to dig out the notebook from that class we took with Paj? I'm so glad that you're getting to teach this class. They picked the right person for the job. I'm sure it will be excellent. Wish I could audit it. Seeing as how the Middle East is such an important topic, perhaps it was ( at least partly) "for such a time as this" that you have come into that school system...

1:24 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Yes Claire, I sure am going to dig out that notebook. Actually, I think I have two notebooks. He gave so much info in his classes that I usually needed two. Thanks for the affirming words. It will be an adventure, to say the least, especially given that some of my students will likely be Iraqi, Egyptian, Jewish, Syrian, and who knows what else. Maybe even al-Qaida sympathizers...

4:52 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

The beginning of this post reminded me of one time when I was subbing.

A kid gave me at least $25 dollars or maybe even $45...for a field trip with the teacher i was subbing for. I was wondering where I should put it but didn't get around to putting it anywhere safe, got distracted with doing sub duties.

Anyways I left it on the teachers desk with a sticky note on top saying what it was. At the end of the class I found it was missing. I LOOKEd all over the place more than once...I just couldn't find it. I was praying I would... ah it was rough... After awhile and after praying that God would help me find it, felt God was saying that, basically this is the world.

It was a reality check... took away some of my "romantic" notions about the kids. I was very upset about it.

It is good to keep in mind, for me too!, that alot of these kids, are dead to God therefore they do bad things that hurt others. It's just the reality that we as christians live with when we work in the secular world. It can be hard...but it to is a Mission field!

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad prayer helped but updating your blog would be nice!!!

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters