Thursday, June 01, 2006

Your Worldview Helps

Times are a wee bit hard right now. But it helps to have a worldview that expects opposition when you are doing good, wherever that may be. This was about the first response that came to mind when one of my co-workers asked me today how it is that I am not considering quitting my job right now. It's bad enough that I suppose some may consider leaving were they in my shoes. But since I believe I'm supposed to be here, I'm simply digging in for the long haul, hanging on for the ride, doing my best to not let it get the better of me, etc.

I won't go into the nitty-gritty, but it revolves around a student creating a myspace account in my name, with my picture, and saying nasty stuff about me on it. For those of you who don't know, some say this constitutes identify fraud (as opposed to theft). Fraud is a felony in my state, but I doubt the police will take the time or money to prosecute this one. The craziest thing is that the student, who has been nabbed, is someone I don't know from Adam. I can understand a vengeful student a little better than being targeted for some other reason. It seems to be motivated by homophobia. I suspect he went after me based on perceived sexual orientation. That's pretty ironic, I think, especially if you know me. Now don't accuse me of going off the deep end or anything, but I'm pretty much persuaded now that homophobia in the public schools is a serious issue. Not that I needed to be convinced any after an experience I had last year. But that's another story. Life goes on, I hang on.

13 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

man that's hard. I am sorry! I'll pray for ya... I'll ask my parents too, to pray.

9:42 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

I love you!

10:53 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

and I'm amazed at your fortitude! if you need me to beat anyone up, BY ALL MEANS, CALL!!!!!

(I'm beating them up in my mind already...)

10:54 PM  
Blogger lis said...

Whew.

Praying.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

These things can happen to a man---but a man will get through them---especially such a man as you are! I am praying for you...

9:58 AM  
Blogger Booker said...

Be encouraged. Stay by your post...

5:07 PM  
Blogger John L said...

Wow, that is tough, but I am glad you're sticking with it. I'll be praying for you brother.

We used to have an expression in the Navy when things were going bad. One would shrug it off and say, "Well, what else can they do to me, take away my birthday?" One time they actually did take away my birthday! My ship was heading west across the Pacific Ocean, and we crossed the international dateline just at midnight on my birthday eve, and poof, my birthday was gone.

You're a good man, and I know you'll come out like gold on the other side.

3:38 PM  
Blogger brilynne said...

Oy.

If Criag needs any help beating people up, he can call me. I'll be praying while I'm on call.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Suddenly my school issues look very pale in the light of yours. That's rough. I admire your perseverance and vision in spite of the setbacks.

Practical suggestion for dispelling the orientation rumors: get a girlfriend! Seriously. A single guy in his late 20s with no girl in sight does invite speculation these days.

But not to say you're to blame for the stupid actions of this student! The Lord bless you and give you tons of grace right now!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Yikes! I am so sorry Chad. Gladly adding my prayers to the pile. Keep up the good work!

3:14 PM  
Blogger TripleNine said...

That is really rough. I hope that your living situation never gets out otherwise you'll never be able to get rid of the perceptions.

Hope things get better fast for you.

8:54 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Kristi, didn't you know I have a girlfriend already? The problem is that she's sixty, very fat, and from Alaska. She's also an Eskimo. Given this combo, I don't think it would help my image if I communicated this to any of my students...

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Hmmm...I see. I can understand your reticence there. But you need not show them the real one. Just find a picture of some gorgeous dame, frame it, maybe even photoshop yourself into it, and then set it on your desk without saying a thing about it. Word will spread, I'm sure. And when you do bring the Eskimo around, just say the picture was from a few years ago. :-)

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters