Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Traveling South and Life as an RA

Rambling, pedantic account ahead of my trip south. Reader beware!

I'm back in VA, having returned for a third summer to work as a residential assistant in a pre-collegiate history program for high school students. I first got a job in this program as a grad student, when I worked as a normal RA. Actually, it's much more intensive than the duties of a college RA, as these are high school students and they need more intense supervision. Last year I returned as the Head RA, which meant I had a little more responsibility and got 33 percent more money. Couldn't complain at that. This year I am back as the Head RA. In addition to serving as an RA, I coordinate and supervise all the other RA's, and liasion with the program director.

The trip down was a nightmare. I left my place at about 5:15. I cruised down to the Dunkin Donuts around the corner, and did something I've never done: ordered a turbo coffee. Yup, I've gone over to the dark side. While at the counter I resorted to brother-like, rather timid behavior. (Said brother will go unnamed, but he likes to blog.) I ordered an extra large turbo coffee and two breakfast sandwiches. I had a coupon for a dollar off any breakfast sandwich, and it said right on it "limit 2 per customer." So obviously the coupon meant you could get a dollar off each, right? Well, the lady rang it up and only gave me a dollar off of one! But rather than complaining about it, I just went on my merry way. Such brother-like behavior is unusual, but perhaps on the increase. These little acts of not complaining when I have a right to get my dollar back will probably add up to my failing to achieve millionaire status by age 30. Sigh. Such is life.

The coffee tasted more bitter than usual. If this is a consequence of the turbo shot (and I assume it is), then turbo is not worth the extra dough. Not unless you are really desperate for an extra high. But I didn't notice much of an extra kick either, in my alertness or whatever. So I think, for now, that turbo coffee is a big come on and a waste of money. Save yourselves the money, friends who have not experimented. It's not worth it. (Don't I sound like an ex user warning people from the dangers of drugs? Well, in case you're wondering, they're not worth it either...)

As I traveled, I plotted my trip to miss a major city during rush hour. I did, then got stuck in major traffic north of another major city. Then when I got to NYC, around ten (after rush hour--what gives?) I got stuck in more major traffic. What a pain! It took me three hours to go sixty miles, after going 200 in the first three. And my brother wasn't there to yell "everybody go home!" as he is wont to do when amidst lots of traffic. I was frustrated, especially since I had friends to meet at the other end by a certain time. As I rode, I educated myself a bit by listening to 1776 on CD. It's a recent history book by David McCullough on that famous year (yeah, it's nerdy, but call it professional development on the go!)

I finally got through NYC and into NJ. There I got off the highway to try and take back my EZ Pass tags to the customer service center in Newark. Big mistake. The directions I had from online were confusing, and before I knew it I was meandering down a road in the city that probably has seen its share of drug deals. But I was not mugged. Still, I failed to find the center, and after fruitless searching got back on the highway. Sigh.

South of the NJ turnpike I stop to get gas. 43.50 to fill up. Ouch. Then, as I head onto the highway, I open my 24 ounce bottle of Diet Pepsi, to fortify my caffeine levels and give me something to drink at the same time. As I opened the bottle in one hand while merging into traffic, this bottle fizzled up like a volcano, and proceeded to pour out into my lap a la Mt. Vesuvius. What's a guy to do in such a situation? I tried desperately to roll down the window and hold it outside to fizzle over, but that was hard to do with only two hands, while driving. So I got a good part, maybe 6 or 8 ounces worth of Pepsi spilled into my lap and onto the seat. I didn't think I needed to be cooled down, but it happened anyway. And it left a rather unpleasant stain after it dried, probably hours down the road.

I get to around Washington, and more traffic. Sigh. I finally get to my destination, meet up with friends, and have a nice rest of the evening. All told, my trip took around 14 hours. It could have been done in about 11 if there hadn't been traffic. Nevertheless, I was safe and sound, more educated than I might have been, and at my destination. Can't complain too much.

More on life as an RA in a later post. I've gotten distracted, and it's getting late.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

My word, you Easterners sure drive the distances! Sounds like quite the adventures.
Hope the high school kids are good to ya!

12:25 AM  
Blogger Aaron said...

You were SPEEDING!!!?!?!?!?! To my knowledge, there are no roads in New England with limits over 65 mph, and yet you claim you went an average of 67!!!!!! And that doesn't account for lights and backroads and whatnot.

By the way, if it will help you achieve millionaire status by age thirty, I'll give you a couple dollars for your next birthday. It would be cool to be able to say, "I have a cousin who was a millionaire by age thirty....and he's a highschool teacher too!"

9:43 PM  
Blogger brilynne said...

About the coupon....
I would have thought that it meant limit to two coupons per customer, not that the customer could buy two discounted sandwiches with one coupon. But then, I also am known to scuttle timidly away from any conflict with an all-knowing cashier.

9:56 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

Plausible theory brilynne, but I previously purchased two iced coffees for 99 cents each with a coupon that also said "limit 2 per customer," so I think I could have legitimately made my case if I had chosen to.

10:54 PM  
Blogger CKS said...

Wow, I feel really famous in this post! I didn't realize it registered with you that I always whine, "Everybody go home!" whenever traffic hits. But I do. And they never listen. Stupid people...I get so fed up with them for clogging the fast lane.

Sorry you had such a miserable trip. But the soda explosion sure was funny to read about!

12:40 AM  
Blogger Avalanche Cowpoke said...

...I sympathize with the soda incident---I also experienced a similar event back in about '72 (not 1872) with a can of Coke that had been rolling around on the floor of the car under the heater vent... ...it went up my nose and out my ears (or felt like it) and I was glad I had the two empty lanes of middle of the night Interstate 40 of Texas to weave around in... 8~D

11:14 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

My comment to slow drivers and traffic in general is "Get your issues off the road!!"

(From Ice Age)

Doesn't usually work.

3:34 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

aaron, I'll be expecting that two bucks from you the next time we meet.

And the speeding wasn't that bad, given that no longer do I have to travel forty-five minutes from home before I hit an interstate. In fact, it's very close.

4:23 PM  
Blogger redsoxwinthisyear said...

I was finally able to change before arrival after multiple tries for a suitable place. But that's a different story...

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Site Counters